James A. Howard
Affiliate Associate Professor
Dr. Howard, a 1976 graduate of the UW School of Dentistry, has been involved in teaching since completion of a postdoctoral fellowship in 1979. He held appointments in the Restorative and Orthodontic Departments until 1996, when he relocated his private practice from Seattle to Spokane. Dr. Howard is Affiliate Assistant Professor in the Department of Pediatric Dentistry, spending three days per month at The Center for Pediatric Dentistry providing care for children and adolescents with temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorders. He has maintained his staff position at Seattle Children’s in Dental Medicine since 1979.
Dr. Howard has published manuscripts and textbook chapters related to the diagnosis and management of TMJ disorders in children and adults. He has published in and been a reviewer for several medical and dental journals.
- DDS, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, 1976
- Post-doctoral Research Fellow, Department of Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, University of Washington, 1976-79
- Etiology of TMJ disorders
- Sleep disorders and bruxism
- Craniofacial Imaging
- Relationship of wind instruments and the violin to orofacial growth and development
- Juvenile idiopathic arthritis and the resulting TMJ and dental occlusal adaptation